Welcome to our Upper Foundation page.
Meet our staff
Class teacher: Mr Mair
Our topic this half term is “All about me and different jobs”
Phonics: This half term we will be moving onto Phase 3 Phonics! (Remember to keep practicing your Phase 2 sounds also!) We use the songs from Jolly phonics to help remember the sound. These come with actions that can be practiced at home.
All the sounds and songs can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s-1sxzjPX8&ab_channel=JF
English: We will be exploring a range of texts this half term including:
Funnybones by Janet and Allan Ahlberg : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gweOq4OT-H0&ab_channel=GiveUsAStory%21
Eat your greens Goldilocks By Steve Smallman : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYLoIgR4Bx0&ab_channel=StorytellerFox
When I grow up by Melanie Joyce
The Girl and the Dinosaur by Hollie Hughes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6KV8jhBkkk&ab_channel=Genie%26BelleStorytime
We are going to start exploring how to write a sentence. We will use our Phonics knowledge to write simple sentences e.g. The cat is in bed.
Maths: We are continuing to look at number order to 20. We will be exploring numbers identifying one more and one less. We will also be looking at measuring heights and weights!
Counting to 20: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Ajq682yrA&ab_channel=TheSingingWalrus-EnglishSongsForKids
One more and one less : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du6JHupzwVo&ab_channel=HarryKindergartenMusic
Shape song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEbRDtCAFdU&ab_channel=TheSingingWalrus-EnglishSongsForKids
At home learning:
50 Things to do before you’re 5! – Although some of the children are older then 5, there are some fantastic ideas of activities to do at home! Below is a list of a few you can do through this Half term!
#12 Brrrr… Explore the Cold!
- Go looking for icy spider webs
- Put water in dishes outside overnight to create ice
#29 Pitter Patter
- 11th Jan- National step in a puddle and splash your friend’s day
- Jumping in puddles
- See what sinks in the mud
#4 Make Your Mark
- 23rd Jan- National Handwriting day
#47 Great Wakefield Baking
- Pancake day
- Chinese New Year
#1 Get To Know You
- 11th Feb –national make a friend day
#44 Animals Nearby
- Chinese New Year – the Year of the Rat
Another Super resource is: Hungry Little Minds!
This is a government led campaign filled with interesting and enjoyable ideas to support your child’s learning. Below I’ve taken a couple of ideas straight from the 3-5 section of the website!
- Encourage your child to recall what has happened in the story. For example, ‘Why is bear feeling sad?’ Ask them to guess what might happen – ‘What should they do next?’ – or how the story might end – ‘Do you think they’re going to find the treasure? Where could it be?’
- Try role-playing games together such as shopping. Set items out on the sofa, give your child a bag and some pretend money. Then switch roles and let them be the shopkeeper.
- Help your child make a puppet show about their favourite story using objects around the house.
- Play a make-believe journey game with your child. Make a car out of a cardboard box that you decorate together, or just grab some cushions, pile in a few teddy bear passengers, and let your child drive you off on an adventure.
There is even a section full of selected apps to help support your children at home!
Don’t forget to take pictures of your activities, as we would love to see what you have got up to!
Homework is given out based on what we have either learnt or will be taught in school. Please allow time for your child to complete this with support.
Maths Homework is given on a Monday and due back on Wednesday.
Their Reading book is due back with bookbag on Thursday – Please read with your child daily. This may be a bed time story, a newspaper or even the cereal box in the morning! – Don’t forget to write in their reading record every time you read with them!
Phonics due back with your child’s bookbag on Thursday – This homework will be based off the sounds we are learning that week, please take the time to help your child write the sounds provided and practice them at home (please refer to the youtube video).
Please be punctual with the homework deadlines, due to current procedures all homework will be quarantined for 72 hours before marking.
Our Learning – Our Provision
In our classroom the children have access to water play, sand play, malleable materials, roleplay, writing and reading areas, maths areas and expressive arts areas e.g. painting, chalks, pens.
Outdoor learning takes place every day in the foundation stage whatever the weather! Please ensure your child is wearing suitable shoes and has a warm coat. Waterproofs and wellies are provided by school if they are needed.