If you have the book Jack and the Beanstalk at home, share it with your child. If not, click on the link below to read the story with your child.
Questions to ask:
- What do you think the story is about?
- If he/she has read the book before, what can you remember about the story?
- Read the story aloud.
- At certain points in the story and ask your child, "What do you think will happen next?"
- As you read point to the words with your finger.
- Talk about characters. E.g Jack, the little old man, Jack's mother, the giant etc. "Who are they?" "What are they like?" "Where do they live?"
- Ask your child to join in with the repeated phrase, "Fee, fi, fo, fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman ...."
- Once you have read the story together, ask your child, "Which was your favourite part?" "Why?" "Did you like the story?"